Perfect way to sneak those pesky greens into your kids’ diets!
Green Grilled Cheese
Author: Seasoned With Chaos
- For Pesto:
- 3 cups of greens (any greens will work)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 TB of minced garlic (or 3 cloves)
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- pinch of salt
- * I like to add about 4 oz. goat cheese, as it makes the pesto smoother and helps offset any bitterness if you're using greens that tend to be bitter.
- For the Sandwich:
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups sprouts (if you can find them)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese
- 8 slices of thick, hearty bread
- 2 Tbsp. butter for toasting
- To make the pesto: Combine all pesto ingredients listed above in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Spread butter on outside of each slice of butter.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp. (or more) of pesto on each slice of bread.
- Add a few slices of cheese.
- Top one piece of bread with avocado slices and ½ cup sprouts.
- Put other slice on top and cook in panini press or pan with something heavy on top (cast iron skilled).
- Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve with a dollop of pesto for dipping on the side.