This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Kate at Cookie and Kate .
Cabbage Salad with Crispy Peanut Tofu and Mango Salsa
Author: Adapted from recipe on Cookie and Kate
- Crispy Peanut Tofu: (If you don't like tofu, you could substitute chicken, pork, shrimp,or just leave the protein out)
- 1 15 oz block of sprouted, organic, extra firm tofu
- 1 TB avocado oil
- 1 TB reduce sodium tamari sauce
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder or corn starch
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter (we use Whole Foods 365 brand organic, no added salt/sugar)
- 2 TB reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- 2 TB honey or maple syrup
- 2 TB toasted sesame oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ripe mangos
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ small jalapeño (if you are serving to kids you may want to leave out)
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 TB chopped peanuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drain the tofu and cut into 2-3 sections. Place a thick layer of paper towels above and below the tofu and put something heavy on top to squeeze the excess water out (I used a cast iron pan). Let it sit for several minutes.
- Mix the peanut sauce while the tofu is draining. Place PB, honey, sesame oil, lime juice, and garlic in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Move drained tofu to cutting board. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Combine 1 TB of avocado oil and 1 TB tamari sauce and drizzle over cubes.
- Sprinkle tofu with 2 tsp arrowroot/cornstarch, toss with your fingers (this is a good step for the kids to help with).
- Evenly layer the tofu on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes (or until golden brown), mixing after 15 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the Mango Salsa. Cube the mangos, add chopped bell peppers, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt and stir.
- Chop the peanuts. Toast for 2 minutes over medium-low heat in a large sauce pan, add the baked tofu and half of the peanut sauce, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Place the shredded cabbage on a plate, top with mango salsa, tofu, and drizzle with the remaining peanut sauce.